Here's my advice for getting started with the Connectome Workbench:
- First, go through my new (August 2017, version 1.2.3) tutorial on getting started with Workbench: it describes downloading Workbench, starting it, loading images, and viewing overlay and underlay images.
- This older tutorial on plotting a NIfTI image has some introductory material, including how to us wb_command to create a surface file from a volumetric NIfTI.
- Read my summary of the different file types.
- Try the official Workbench tutorial (or at least look at the manual to get an idea of the possibilities).
- Look at my post on using the Workbench with volumetric images.
UPDATE 2 August 2017: removed the (very outdated!) mention of the release of Connectome Workbench 1.0; renamed this post to the more general "Connectome Workbench: 1st Steps".